Grid Control Agent 10G and 11g Performance: Steps to Tune the Agent When Monitoring Large Number of Targets
(Doc ID 464851.1)
Last updated on MARCH 12, 2021
Applies to:Enterprise Manager Base Platform - Version 10.2.0.1 to 22.214.171.124 [Release 10.2 to 11.1]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
*** Checked for relevance on 15-Aug-2011 ***
Grid Control Management Agent monitoring large number of targets (Database / Application Servers/ WLS, etc) could experience performance issues due to the sheer number of metric collections and functions that need to be performed for target monitoring.
Some of the symptoms seen are:
- Agent takes a long time to get to ready status upon startup.
- Agent consistently consumes excessive CPU affecting the performance of the machine and other applications.
- Agent experiences instability problems (crashing / restarting) regularly.
- When the 11g Agent is monitoring a large number of Middleware targets, in particular a large number of weblogic_j2eeserver targets, there may be slowness in metric collection or the following entry may be seen in the <AGENT_HOME>/sysman/log/emagent.nohup file:
<Tue Jan 11 23:24:42 PST 2011> <Warning> <Socket> <WL-000402> <There are: xx active sockets, but the maximum number of socket reader threads allowed by the configuration is: 2. You may want to alter your configuration.>
- The Agent may also get the below errors <AGENT_HOME>/sysman/log/emagent.trc during metric collection:
2011-02-01 11:52:00,153 Thread-6100 ERROR engine: [j2ee_application,/Farm01_GCDomain/GCDomain/EMGC_ADMINSERVER/HttpDeployer,Response] : nmeegd_GetMetricData failed : Java Virtual Machine context could not be obtained.
2011-02-01 11:52:00,153 Thread-6100 WARN collector: <nmecmc.c> Error exit. Error message: Java Virtual Machine context could not be obtained.
<timestamp> Thread<#> ERROR fetchlets: oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.fetchlet.FetchletException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
<timestamp> Thread<#> ERROR engine: [oracle_integrationbpm,<target_name>_bpel,BPELPMServerMetrics] : nmeegd_GetMetricData failed : oracle.sysman.emSDK.emd.fetchlet.FetchletException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
For 12c Agent, refer to <Note 1349887.1>: Steps to Tune the Cloud Control 12c Agent Performance When Monitoring a Large Number of Targets
Grid Control Administrators who want to tune the Agent when it is monitoring a large number of targets.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|1. Environment Variables|
|2. Tuning Agent Parameters|
|3. Adjusting Metric Collection Frequencies|
|4. Agent Patches|