OBIEE 10g - "ORA-00979" Error After Upgrade to 10.1.3.4.2
Last updated on DECEMBER 15, 2014
Applies to:Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition - Version 10.1.3.4.1  to 10.1.3.4.2 
Business Intelligence Server Enterprise Edition - Version 10.1.3.4.1  to 10.1.3.4.2 
Information in this document applies to any platform.
- After upgrading Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) from 10.1.3.4.1 to 10.1.3.4.2,
- An ORA-00979 error would be thrown for some answers, where database is on oracle database 18.104.22.168.0.
- Error details on results tab:
Error (SQLExecDirectW) was returned by the ODBC driver.
Error Code: OPR4ONWY: U9IM8TAC: OI2DL65P
State: HY000. Code: 454 858 400. [NQODBC] [SQL_STATE: HY000]
[nQSError: 10058] A general error has occurred.
[nQSError: 17001] Oracle Error code: 979, message:
ORA-00979: not a GROUP BY expression at OCI call OCIStmtExecute.
. [nQSError: 17010] SQL statement preparation failed (HY000)
- The physical sql in nqquery.log includes "distinct" statement and likes following:
WITH <table> AS (
D1.c1 as c1,
D1.c2 as c2,
D1.c3 as c3,
ROW_NUMBER () OVER (
concat (concat (substr (T54109.zzzzz, 1, 4), '/'), substr (T54109.zzzzz,
distinct <table>.c1 as c1,
<table>.c2 as c2,
<table>.c3 as c3,
<table>.c4 as c4,
<table>.c5 as c5
- ORA-00979 error can be reproduced for executing above physical sql against oracle dabase 22.214.171.124 via Sql*plus after setting parameter CURSOR_SHARING to FORCE.
Upgraded OBIEE from 10.1.3.4.1 to OBIEE 10.1.3.4.2.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms