OBIEE 11g: Scale Out Fails During Configuration On A Machine With Multiple NICs
Last updated on MARCH 16, 2016
Applies to:Business Intelligence Server Enterprise Edition - Version 220.127.116.11.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Workaround is to use a script to change the IP address.
The installer hangs at the configuration phase (Configuration Assistant) when attempting to scale-out an OBIEE environment on another node.
The "Starting Scaled Out Manager Server" step hangs and it does not complete:
The following error appears in the installation log:
Caused by: javax.management.OperationsException: WARNING: Element Type: MANAGED_SERVER
Element Id: bi_server2
Operation Result: FAILED_CONTACTING_MANAGED_SERVERS
Detail Message: Specified BI Managed Servers are shut down: bi_server2.
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
- OBIEE instance (instance1) created using Enterprise install with create new BI system option.
- During Scale-out on instance 2 which has multiple network interfaces (NICs), the Admin Server picks up a private address when multiple network interfaces are available.
- The issue occurs in an Exalogic machine but it could occur in any other machine with multiple NICs. In this case, the Exalogic Server has a combination of Private and Public network interfaces and the Admin Server picks up the private one (first one in the list of interfaces).
- It happens using both, GUI installer and silent install.
- The network is properly configured on all nodes.
Scale-out to Exalogic nodes that have multiple network cards and bi_server2 is picking up a private card as its Default channel when its started (per scale out process).
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms