OBIEE 12c: Data Filter with a Row-wise Initialized or System Session Variable in the Expression Fails in Online Mode with Error 'The session variable has no value definition'
(Doc ID 2285536.1)
Last updated on APRIL 01, 2019
Applies to:Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition - Version 18.104.22.168.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
With the OBIEE 22.214.171.124.0 Admin Tool:-
1. Launch the Admin Tool & open the RPD in ONLINE mode
2. Go to Manage > Identity > BI Repository > Application Roles tab ... Double-click on a role (For example: BIConsumer) > Check Out
Click on the Permissions button and go to the Data Filters tab
3. In the Application Role window, click the Add icon and double-click on any Logical Table with a "character" column.
For example: Business Model tab > expand 01 - SampleApp > D5 Sales Rep.
Highlight / select the Data Filter and click the Edit Expression icon
4. In the Expression Builder window, build an expression that references the USER system session variable.
For example: "01 - SampleApp"."D5 Sales Rep"."E1 Sales Rep Name" = VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.USER)
Click OK to close the Expression Builder window.
5. Back in the Application Role window, click OK and see the following error is thrown:
Data filter expression ... is considered as non conditional, error: [nQSError: 23006] The session variable, NQ_SESSION.USER, has no value definition
As a result, the Data Filter cannot be saved / created successfully in ONLINE mode.
- If the Data Filter expression references a session variable that is row-wise initialized (that is, created and initialized via a session init block only) then this issue is also encountered.
- If the Data Filter expression references a System session variable that is set via a session init block and has a default initializer value (for example: VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.PORTALPATH) is a typical case) then the error is NOT thrown and the Data Filter can be saved / created successfully.
- <Patch 25081469> - RPD CONSISTENCY ERRORS AFTER UPGRADE FROM 126.96.36.199.0 TO 188.8.131.52 resolves similar errors when encountered in OFFLINE mode (only).
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document