OBIEE 12c: Data Filter with a Row-wise Initialized or System Session Variable in the Expression Fails in Online Mode with Error 'The session variable has no value definition'
Last updated on JULY 13, 2017
Applies to:Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition - Version 188.8.131.52.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
With the OBIEE 184.108.40.206.0 Admin Tool:-
1. Launch the Admin Tool & open the RPD in ONLINE mode
2. Go to Manage > Identity > BI Repository > Application Roles tab ... Double-click on a role (For example: BIConsumer) > Check Out
Click on the Permissions button and go to the Data Filters tab
3. In the Application Role window, click the Add icon and double-click on any Logical Table with a "character" column.
For example: Business Model tab > expand 01 - SampleApp > D5 Sales Rep.
Highlight / select the Data Filter and click the Edit Expression icon
4. In the Expression Builder window, build an expression that references the USER system session variable.
For example: "01 - SampleApp"."D5 Sales Rep"."E1 Sales Rep Name" = VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.USER)
Click OK to close the Expression Builder window.
5. Back in the Application Role window, click OK and see the following error is thrown:
Data filter expression ... is considered as non conditional, error: [nQSError: 23006] The session variable, NQ_SESSION.USER, has no value definition
As a result, the Data Filter cannot be saved / created successfully in ONLINE mode.
- If the Data Filter expression references a session variable that is row-wise initialized (that is, created and initialized via a session init block only) then this issue is also encountered.
- If the Data Filter expression references a System session variable that is set via a session init block and has a default initializer value (for example: VALUEOF(NQ_SESSION.PORTALPATH) is a typical case) then the error is NOT thrown and the Data Filter can be saved / created successfully.
- <Patch 25081469> - RPD CONSISTENCY ERRORS AFTER UPGRADE FROM 220.127.116.11.0 TO 18.104.22.168 resolves similar errors when encountered in OFFLINE mode (only).
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms