How To Find Language (NLS) and Character Information For Oracle Discoverer 10g | 11g Installations
(Doc ID 434135.1)
Last updated on AUGUST 18, 2021
Applies to:Oracle Discoverer - Version 10.1.2.3 to 22.214.171.124.0 [Release 10.1.2 to 11g]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Currently, National Language Support (NLS) information that is relevant to Oracle Business Intelligence Discoverer 10g (10.1.2) is spread across several portions of the documentation. The purpose of this document is to bring the information together to assist customers with language and character issues while installing and using Oracle BI Discoverer 10g (10.1.2) and FMw Discoverer 11g (11.1.1)
If you do not correctly setup your environment for multiple languages, then you may run into a variety of symptoms such as menus displaying in the incorrect language, characters showing up as inverted question marks (?), square brackets ([ ]) or boxes. This document is not meant to address those specific issue, rather to provide installation guidance.
At a high level you need:
- Data stored in a unicode character set (UTF-8) in the database.
- For 10g, the desired language resources chosen and installed during the initial OAS middle-tier installation (note: this must be done at install time, it cannot be added after).
For 11g, all available language resources are installed automatically.
- The proper fonts installed to display the desired language in the server-side JDK.
- The proper fonts installed to display the desired language in the client-side JRE for Plus or Discoverer for Olap (D4O).
- The proper fonts installed to display the desired language in the supported client operating system.
Note: Ensure you also choose the appropriate language locale in the Discoverer connection page and you have the correct default language configured in the browser.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document