Primary Note on WebLogic Server (WLS) Licensing and License Files
(Doc ID 1076283.1)
Last updated on MAY 18, 2021
Applies to:Oracle WebLogic Server - Version 7.0 to 10.0
Information in this document applies to any platform.
We are often asked about how to use WebLogic Server (WLS) license files (usually called license.bea). This document brings together links for various issues related to licensing.
Even for WLS 10.0.x and lower, Oracle no longer requires your IP address(es) in order to provide a license key. Oracle is now providing new generic license files that simplify the licensing process. Your new license keys will enable you to fully use all of the features of your WLS purchase.
General Licensing Information
General information about getting a new WLS license file along with step-by-step instructions on how to use it are at:
- How Can I Get a New WebLogic Server License? <Note 842520.1>
More specific articles on some aspects of the procedures are spelled out at:
- Upgrading Weblogic Server (WLS) License from 8.1SP2 to 8.1SP6 or 9.2 <Note 823884.1>
- How Can I Apply a Permanent License to WebLogic Server (WLS)? <Note 835255.1>
Evaluation licenses (for those versions of WebLogic Server which use license files) are limited to a certain number of unique IP addresses: that is, only 3 IP addresses (for some versions) or 5 IP addresses (for other versions) can access WLS while it is running with one of these licenses. Any access attempts beyond the limit will be refused. See these articles for more details:
- WebLogic Server Evaluation Licenses Are Limited to 3 Unique IP Addresses <Note 766943.1>
- HOW TO ALLOW MORE THAN FIVE CONNECTIONS TO A WEBLOGIC SERVER IN A UAT ENVIRONMENT. <Note 864440.1>
- Clustering Not Allowed with WebLogic Server Evaluation License <Note 766241.1>
IP Problems and Licensing
WebLogic Server licenses were tied to a specific IP address, which could cause various problems, which are described here. Please note that even for WLS versions that require a license file, the license file is no longer tied to a specific IP address.
- "WebLogic: License error, Invalid Host IP" at Server Startup of WebLogic Server 8.1 <Note 967494.1>
- After OS was patched, IP-Based Licenses Fail With Error Message "WebLogic: license error, Invalid host IP" <Note 847570.1>
- License Error in Production System: "Connection rejected, the server license allows connections from only 5 unique IP addresses." <Note 776112.1>
Using SSL and wlfullclient.jar Causes Licensing Problem
This article describes a licensing problem which occurred when using SSL with wlfullclient.jar:
- While Using wlfullclient.jar, Client is Receiving: "Exception occurred while reading the license file." <Note 951251.1>
Auditing Licensed Features in WLS 10.3.1+
As we've been saying, WLS 10.3 and higher do not require a specific license file. However, they are still licensed products and you the customer are still bound by the agreement you have made with Oracle for their use. This article provides a WLST script which you can use to audit your WebLogic Server Basic 10.3.1+ environment to make sure that you are not using any of the restricted features which would require an upgrade:
- WebLogic Server Basic License Audit Script <Note 885587.1>
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|General Licensing Information|
|IP Problems and Licensing|
|Using SSL and wlfullclient.jar Causes Licensing Problem|
|Auditing Licensed Features in WLS 10.3.1+|