Last updated on NOVEMBER 05, 2016
Applies to:Oracle Weblogic Server - Version 9.2 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
***Checked for relevance on 6-Nov-2012***
The following observations have been made by running a test case on different configurations. The domain was spread across two physical machines - Machine1 and Machine2 that have shared file system based on VCFS (Veritas Cluster File System).
WebLogic Server uses the file locking mechanism to synchronize the configuration update (for example: during deployment).
Sun jdk 1.5.0_18 in action:
- The issue has been reproduced using the test case on Machine1 and Machine2 using VCFS 5.1 + solaris10 + jdk 1.5.0_18.
- Weblogic Server process on Machine1 acquires a lock.
- When another Weblogic Server process on Machine2 tries to acquire the lock, it receives an IO Exception for the first access attempt and then on subsequent access attempts a series of Overlapping Exceptions on Machine2 are encountered till five minutes. After the five minute timeout lock is obtained.
- The same test case when run using Machine1 and Machine2 using NFS + solaris10 + jdk 1.5.0_18 does not produce the issue. There was no overlapping exception on Machine2, and further when Machine1 released the lock, Machine2 was able to acquire the same lock without any delay.
- The same test case when run on VCFS 4.1 and Solaris9 + jdk 1.5.0_18 does not cause any issue (and this is consistent with WLS 9.2.3 with jdk 1.5.0_18 behavior in same setup).
Sun JDK 1.5.0_u26 in action:
- When this test case runs using Sun JDK 1.5.0_u26 on Machine1 and Machine2 using VCFS 5.1 + solaris10, it does not reproduce the issue. The test case behaves similarly except that Machine2 (i.e., the node that tries to acquire the already locked file) receives an exception as:
No overlapping exception, or any delay observed when the lock is released by first entity.
- When this test case runs using Sun JDK 1.5.0_u26 (on its zone1 and Machine2 using NFS + solaris10), no lock issue is observed. There is no IOException or Overlapping Exception.
- When we try to activate changes (from Weblogic admin console), it takes about 5 minutes for the changes to get activated.
- Observation of the permission denied exception (which is expected) but then we are running into an overlapping exception (as observed in weblogic server logs with "weblogic>>deploy" debug flag enabled from admin console at <SERVER_NAME>/Debug). Once here, it doesn't matter whether the lock gets released or not. We continue to get overlapping exceptions on each try till timeout occurs.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms