ODSEE Announcement: Change in Directory Server (DS), Directory Proxy Server (DPS), and Identity Synchronization for Windows (ISW) Patch Delivery Process Starting January 2012
(Doc ID 1373397.1)
Last updated on OCTOBER 14, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition - Version 6.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
The following is intended to outline changes to the patch delivery process for the ODSEE product where the ODSEE product includes -
- Directory Server,
- Directory Proxy Server (DPS), and
- Identity Sync for Windows (ISW).
This document is provided for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle.
Oracle DSEE New Bundle Patch Process
Oracle is standardizing patch delivery for the Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition (ODSEE) and former Sun DSEE to the same type of delivery model as other Oracle products.
This document provides an overview of the changes that are being implemented.
Please note the new bundle patch process applies to the following releases of the Directory Server Enterprise Edition -
Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition 11g
Information in this document applies to all supported OS platforms.
New Bundle Patch Process
The goals of the new process will be to do the following:
- Better manage and set customer expectations by creating a regular, predictable patch delivery cadence against which customers can schedule maintenance activities.
- Improve customer satisfaction through more frequent predictable delivery of fixes to critical or blocking issues.
- Improve the overall quality and stability of fixes released to customers resulting in much fewer one-off fixes.
- Simplify application of the patch in customer environment.
- Better align the ODSEE sustaining process with standard Oracle processes and tools.
Bundle Patch Characteristics
The ODSEE Bundle Patch process will be the following:
- Bundle patches will be released approximately every quarter and will supersede the previous one.
- A bundle patch will be created for the latest Patch version only. For example, if the current ODSEE patch is ODSEE 22.214.171.124.0, then the patch will be available for 126.96.36.199.0 only - it will not be available for 188.8.131.52.0 or any earlier versions. All Patch Sets post 184.108.40.206.0 will follow standard Oracle Error Correction Policy. For more-detailed information on bug fix and patch release policies, please refer to the Error Correction Support Policy on
MyOracle Support .
- Bug fixes on the same release train will always be cumulative such that customers only need to apply the latest bundle patch.
- For production-down issues, we will continue to look for workarounds and then endeavor to deliver a tested bundle patch as per this new process as applicable.
- Components that are included in each bundle patch will have bug fixes in them so customers are encouraged to apply the bundle patch for the component if the customer has the component and platform combination.
- Bundle patches will always contain a release manifest and relevant documentation detailing bug fixes and other related information.
As bundle patches are not the proper release vehicles, Enhancement are only evaluated and implemented in the next product release.
A customer may request an enhancement via a Support Request; the team will evaluate the Enhancement and get back to the customer. The Enhancement request can be tracked via its bug/defect number.
Improving the Experience
As the bundle patch will be created for the latest patch version only, we recommend validation and update to the latest patch version as soon as possible. This way, the environment will be ready for any new fixes required.
For the latest bundle patch, refer to -
Where and How to Download Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition (ODSEE), Directory Server Enterprise Edition (DSEE) and Directory Server (DS) Products (Doc ID 1376249.1)
It is recommended that older installations of the Directory Server product begin planning as soon as possible to bring the DSEE/ODSEE installation to supported release levels. This will give the ability for quick access to ongoing patch release sets for the ODSEE product.
The following DSEE and ODSEE releases will have patch bundles available through the Support Portal.
- DSEE 6.3.1
- DPS 6.3.1u1
As the patches are released, this document will be updated to include links to where these patch bundles can be found for the ODSEE product.
Please reference KM doc ID 1420357.1 for the 220.127.116.11.1 Bundle patch announcement.
Please reference KM doc ID 1387215.1 for the discussion on "Security Fixes Within the Consolidated Bundle Patch for DSEE 6.3.1"
Please reference KM doc ID 1474190.1 for the discussion on the 18.104.22.168.1 Bundle Patch for ODSEE.
Please reference KM doc ID 1534566.1 for the announcement: ODSEE 22.214.171.124.0 Patch Set has been Released for the Directory Server and Directory Proxy Server
Please reference KM doc ID 1375711.2 for the Information Center: Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition (ODSEE) hub.
Bookmark this document to keep tabs on updates to the ODSEE patching available from Oracle through the Support Patch portal.
Versions Out of Premier Support or Error Correction
There are BPs for DS 6.3, but no more are being produced (out of Premier Support).
There are BPs for 126.96.36.199, but no more are being produced (out of Error Correction).
BPs can still be provided for 188.8.131.52 through end of 2019. Any subsequent patches will be made for customers with Extended Support only (through end of 2021).
Premier Support ends for ODSEE 11.1.1.x on Dec 2019.
Premier Support ended for Directory Server 6.3.x on Dec 2013.
The latest/final version for ISW is 6.0u1. Directory Integration Platform (DIP) is the followup product.
Error Correction Support Dates for Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g (11.1.1/11.1.2) (Doc ID 1290894.1)
ODSEE - Information about Support Life Cycle and End Of Life (EOL) Service for Sun Directory Server Enterprise Edition 6.x up to Oracle 11g Directory Servers (Doc ID 1317559.1)
How to Transition from Identity Synchronization for Windows (ISW) to Directory Integration Platform (DIP) (Doc ID 2211689.1)
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Oracle DSEE New Bundle Patch Process|
|New Bundle Patch Process|
|Bundle Patch Characteristics|
|Improving the Experience|
|Versions Out of Premier Support or Error Correction|