After Deploying a Plugin or Library, Plus Restarting OVD 11g Server, ODSM Connection Hangs or Fails with: Error ovdhost:8899 has failed SSL verification. Log May Show: SSL connection failed / java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
(Doc ID 1585457.1)
Last updated on APRIL 20, 2021
Applies to:Oracle Virtual Directory - Version 18.104.22.168 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Oracle Virtual Directory (OVD) Server, i.e., 22.214.171.124.0.
Created and deployed a custom simple plugin, written as per steps mentioned in this Oracle Technical Brief.
After deploying the custom plugin to OVD through Oracle Directory Services Manager (ODSM) console and restarting OVD Server, the next time ODSM attempts to connect to OVD, it fails with:
<OVD_HOSTNAME>:8899 has failed SSL verification. This may be due to a host address or port problem or trust could not be verified or was declined.
If OVD is not restarted after the plugin deployment in ODSM > Advance -> Libraries, then ODSM continues to work. The problem occurs only after deploying the custom plugin and restarting OVD Server afterwards.
The following exception is shown in the WLS diagnostic log file:
[2013-04-25T13:08:27.033-04:00] [wls_ods1] [ERROR]  [oracle.ldap.odsm.ui.common.Login] [tid: [ACTIVE].ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'] [userId: ] [ecid: <ecid>] [APP: odsm#126.96.36.199.0] Connection refused: connect[[
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
Another related ODSM behavior can be more easily reproduced by the following steps:
1. Download and extract the log4j-1.2.16.jar from one of the zip files available at http://archive.apache.org/dist/logging/log4j/1.2.162. Connect to OVD through ODSM
3. Go to Advanced tab > Libraries section and upload the extracted log4j-1.2.16.jar file
4. Refresh the Libraries and make sure that log4j-1.2.16.jar is uploaded as Library
5. Restart OVD server
6. Attempt to connect to OVD via ODSM, and it hangs indefinitely with no error messages
The following may also be seen in the log:
Tried the following Notes' solutions to no help:
After Upgrading to 188.8.131.52, ODSM Connecting To OVD 11g Admin SSL 8899 Port Fails With: Error Server :8899 Has Failed SSL Verification <Document 1369765.1>
ODSM Connecting To OVD 11g Admin Port In SSL Mode Fails With Error Server :8899 Has Failed SSL Verification <Document 1269135.1>
- Delete the custom plugin and log4j.jar (all jar files deleted from $ORACLE_INSTANCE/OVD/plugins/lib).
- Restart OVD server.
- Close the browser and open a new ODSM console, and ODSM will connect to OVD.
- Then re-upload the custom plugin and log4j.jar in the Advanced tab.
- Do not restart OVD server from then on out, or the problem will reoccur.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document