JRockit Crashes on Linux Machines with AVX512 Type CPUs Including Dell PowerEdge R640
Last updated on MAY 04, 2018
Applies to:Oracle JRockit - Version R28 to R28 [Release JRockit]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
JRockit crashes on all DELL PowerEdge 640 systems running RHEL 6.9.
- The problem is seen running an application or even simply running 'java -version' and may be intermittent or occur always.
- The problem is seen regardless of which patch update of JRockit R28 is used. Both jrockit-jdk1.6.0_45-R28.2.7 and the latest jrockit-jdk1.6.0_181-R28.3.17 experience the problem.
- The crash is never seen on Dell PowerEdge R630 systems that are also running RHEL 6.9, which makes the OS version unlikely to be pertinent.
- The problem is not seen with Oracle Java SE (HotSpot) 6u181. It is only seen with JRockit.
The following is a sample error seen:
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Obtain Dell PowerEdge 640 machine and install RHEL 6.9 on it.
2. Install JRockit R28.3.17-12-174307-1.6.0_181-20171223-1739-linux-x86_64
3. Try to run 'java -version' several times in succession and notice the failure.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms