Is There Any Plan for Coherence*Extend Support for .NET Core?
Last updated on MAY 29, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Coherence - Version 18.104.22.168.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
The customer has applications built with .NET Framework and the customer has extend clients that use the coherence .NET Framework API. The customer wants to know if the standard coherence DLL (coherence.dll) will work within .NET core applications. Is there any Coherence support for .NET Core? If there is no current support, are there plans to provide a different DLL for applications built with .NET Core?
.NET Core vs .NET Framework. ... Developers use the .NET framework to create Windows desktop applications and server based applications. This includes ASP.NET web applications. . NET Core is used to create server applications that run on Windows, Linux and Mac.
As per the Microsoft documentation, there are two supported implementations for building server-side applications with .NET: .NET Framework and .NET Core. Both share many of the same components and user can share code across the two. However, there are fundamental differences between the two and user choice depends on what user want to accomplish. This article provides guidance on when to use each.
Use .NET Core for your server application when:
- You have cross-platform needs.
- You are targeting microservices.
- You are using Docker containers.
- You need high-performance and scalable systems.
- You need side-by-side .NET versions per application.
Use .NET Framework for your server application when:
- Your app currently uses .NET Framework (recommendation is to extend instead of migrating).
- Your app uses third-party .NET libraries or NuGet packages not available for .NET Core.
- Your app uses .NET technologies that aren't available for .NET Core.
- Your app uses a platform that doesn’t support .NET Core.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms