How Often to Update Oracle Java SE
(Doc ID 2604349.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 07, 2021
Applies to:Java SE JDK and JRE - Version 7 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
How often should Oracle Java SE be updated and which patch updates should be installed?
To explain, there seems to be at least one Java SE patch delivered every month, as shown in <Document 1439822.1> "All Java SE Downloads on MOS":
- April, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 212 and Java SE 8 Update 212 b31
- May, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 212 b32
- June, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 212 b33 and Java SE 8 Update 212 b34
- July, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 221, Java SE 8 Update 221 b32 and Java SE 8 Update b33
- August, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 221 b34 and Java SE 8 Update 221 b35
- September, 2019: Java SE 8 Update 221 b36
However, it is not reasonable to update Java SE installations this often in a large enterprise of numerous systems and applications.
What does Oracle recommend for a Java SE maintenance schedule?
Also, to update the Java SE installations, do all releases need to be applied, or only the most recent one?
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document