Cname Record Entry Allowed Together With Other Resource Records
(Doc ID 1063469.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 03, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Communications Policy Services - Version: 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 - Release: 6.1 to 6.1
Information in this document applies to any platform.
A CNAME record cannot coexist with any other resource record for a domain.
Nominum ANS rejects any domain modification request which results in the coexistence of CNAME and other resource records with the error:
CNAME and Other Data
Hence, the following is not a valid configuration since CNAME and MX records coexist for the node mail.test.com.
mail IN CNAME mail.bigponderesko.com.
mail IN MX extmail.bigponderesko.com.
However, Policy Services GUI / APIs do not reject this request and updates will be applied to the PS Directory server. But the updates will not flow to the ANS since ANS rejects this. Hence, there will be mismatch between the GUI and the ANS database. Similarly, a CNAME record can not be added for zone apex since SOA and NS records are considered the other data by ANS.
Steps to Reproduce
1. Login to Policy Services
2. Configure a Nominum DNS server.
3. Create a domain test.com, attach the DNS server to the domain.
4. Create a subdomain mail.test.com and try creating a CNAME mail.target.com.
5. Now, create a MX record for mail.test.com. as MX 10 mail.bigpond.com.
6. Check in the Nominum PIC log files. The Policy services request to create the MX record would have been rejected by ANS with error "CNAME and Other Data".
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document