Primary TIMOS Memory Grows When Secondary Synchronizes Transient Objects
(Doc ID 1303103.1)
Last updated on MARCH 27, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Communications Billing and Revenue Management - Version 18.104.22.168.1 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
In a customer setup, the primary TIMOS instance, after starting up, consumes around 20GB of memory. This is a stage when data migration is complete, indexing is done, and memory growth is very limited (up to 64 KB in a second).
Now, if secondary TIMOS instance starts and it comes to synchronize bulk objects, primary TIMOS grows with extra 5GB during 2 minutes, even though it does not need to store any additional data.
- initially: primary TIMOS down, secondary TIMOS down.
- at 2011-02-12 14:44:45 primary TIMOS is started
- at 2011-02-12 16:21:54 initial data migrations is done for primary (TIMOS state transition from 'ActiveDataMigrationInProgress' to 'ActiveDataMigrationComplete'.)
- at 2011-02-12 17:17:55 primary TIMOS instance needs 19836036 KB of memory
- at 2011-02-12 17:17:56 secondary TIMOS is started.
- at 2011-02-12 18:08:08, primary TIMOS instance needs 19896180 KB of memory (60MB growth in 47 minutes)
- at 2011-02-12 18:08:09 bulk data migration starts (primary: TIMOS state transition from 'ActivePassiveReadyForSynchronize' to 'ActiveBulkPayloadMigrationInProgress'.)
- at 2011-02-12 18:12:34 bulk data migration ends (primary: TIMOS state transition from 'ActiveBulkPayloadMigrationInProgress' to 'ActiveBulkPayloadMigrationComplete'.
- at 2011-02-12 18:12:35, primary TIMOS instance needs 24809412 KB of memory (4,9GB grow in 4,5 minutes!)
Impact on Business:
TIMOS memory consumption reaches OS limit rapidly, and TIMOS requires frequent restarts. This lead to heavy load (application, database) and impacts other processes, such like billing accounts.
During bulk data synchronization, primary TIMOS memory growth should not be as high as 5GB
Steps to reproduce:
- Stop both TIMOS instances.
- Start primary instance
- load following amounts of objects, for example:
- /balance_group 815657
- /reservation_list 815657
- /reservation/active 32631
- /active_session/telco/gsm 23292
- /active_session/telco/gprs/master 12959
- /active_session/telco/gprs/subsession 18944
- Now start secondary.
- Observe primary TIMOS memory consumption during state changes from 'ActivePassiveReadyForSynchronize'to 'ActiveBulkPayloadMigrationComplete'.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document