Problem entering Text with Special Characters in Service Request Notes
Last updated on JULY 19, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Communications MetaSolv Solution - Version 6.2.1 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Users experiencing problems when a text string with special characters (from Outlook) is pasted to a Service Request Note.
MSS issues several error messages, creates two notes entries and closes the note entry screen.
The same "random" unrelated message are displayed when you open the "note".
The problem string in the note was a text string imported from an email in Outlook.
1. Search for outstanding orders with the Service Request Search window
2. Select an order and right-click it » choose the option: Service Request Notes
3. Add a new Note
4. Enter the following text string and click OK (exclude the chevrons) :
This is for the MPLS Store Opens 8/29/14, install target 7/29/14, activation target 8/20/14. Build to Suit by Landlord.
Construction start: 5/22/14, completion: 8/25/14. Shopping Center: " XXXXXXX Market Place "
No need for Extended Demarc, order UNE.
5. MSS throws the following messages twice:
- Item 'No need for Extended Demarc, order UNE' does not pass validation test.
- Item Validation error on IMPORT. Continue IMPORT ? Y / N »» N
6. After the first set of messages MSS displays the Service Request Notes with 2 notes:
- one for the userID, with part of the text above
- another as a blank line
7. Double-clicking either one, we get a seemingly random note:
Created by: CARXXXX on: 8/29/2013 12:00 PM
Details/Linx Order#: 7-2469546636
- - -
(actual text varies, depending on the database ...)
The application is generating confusing error messages and adding garbage to the database.
Once the special characters were deleted the text could be pasted normally in a note.
The special characters at fault, are these XML escape characters for double-quoted strings: " <text> "
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms