Connection Design - Unable to assign IP address to both ends of a Virtual Connection having a single segment design
Last updated on FEBRUARY 22, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Communications MetaSolv Solution - Version 6.2.1 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Unable to assign host IP addresses to both ends of a virtual connection that has only one physical segment in the Schematic Design. If you assign an IP address to one end of the connection, you do not have an 'Assign IP Address' option on the other end of the connection. Once the IP is assigned at one end, both ends show the 'Unassign IP Address' option. If you choose 'Unassign' on the endpoint that doesn't have an IP, it will remove the IP from the other end of the circuit however the drawing is not refreshed until you re-open the design. The system should allow unique IP assignments to both endpoints.
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Create a virtual connection design that contains a single segment connecting the originating and terminating elements.
2. Right-click on the originating endpoint on the Schematic Design page and choose ‘Assign IP Address’. This will open the Number Inventory Search window.
3. Search for an available Host IP address from the inventory to assign to the endpoint.
4. Select any available host address.
5. Once you’ve assigned the address, it displays under the icon(example below).
6. Now move to the terminating endpoint and right-click to assign an IP address to this end. The ‘Assign IP Address’ option is not available, only ‘Unassign IP Address’. If you select ‘Unassign IP Address’, it appears to do nothing. However, once you save, close and re-open the design, you can see that the IP was removed from the other end of the circuit. The design should allow IP assignments to both endpoints and it does work correctly for any circuit that have more than one segment between the endpoints (as shown below).
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms