Visualizer Login Fails With Error "Unable To Connect To The Database. Please Run the Database Configuration Tool or Contact Your Administrator."
Last updated on NOVEMBER 15, 2017
Applies to:Primavera P6 Enterprise Project Portfolio Management - Version 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 [Release 8.4 to 16.1]
Primavera P6 Professional Project Management - Version 126.96.36.199 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When attempting to login to Visualizer if Visualizer is launched from within P6 Professional (tools menu), Visualizer loads but prompts for credentials instead of allowing direct login. When entering login credentials or launching Visualizer manually and entering login credentials, the following error occurs:
Unable to connect to the database. Please run the Database Configuration tool to contact your administrator.
In the %TEMP%/Visualizer.log file:
- The following error is returned when connected to an Oracle database (in come cases the same message might appear for SQL DB):
- TIMESTAMP Information Warn Connection initialization failure for alias ALIASNAME, username USERID
- The following error is returned when connecting to a SQL Server database:
- Exception occurred: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Login to P6 Professional
2. Select Tools, Visualizer
3. Enter login credentials at visualizer login page (this should not occur)
4. Note the error which occurs
1. Launch Visualizer from the start menu
2. Enter login credentials at visualizer login page
3. Note the error which occurs
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms