When LDAP Fails, Messages Bounce Instead Of Retry
Last updated on APRIL 04, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Communications Messaging Server - Version 8.0.1 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When LDAP fails, messages bounce instead of being retried.
When LDAP is down, if a message is addressed to a recipient who already has an INBOX in the store *AND* a recipient who does not yet have any folders, the first one is delivered and the second one bounces.
If it is addressed to only a recipient who does not yet have any folders, then it is retried.
This problem would happen on any system, if the message was sent to multiple recipients, where some of them have folders already in the store and others do not yet have folders *AND* LDAP is failing.
The issue can be reproduced at-will with the following steps:
1. two test accounts: test1 and user1
2. make sure test1 has an INBOX in the store and user1 does not have any folders in the store
3. imsimta qm stop ims-ms
4. have test2 send a single message to test1, user1
* that message should go to the ims-ms channel, but not be delivered because the channel was stopped in #3 above
5. shut down your LDAP server (or otherwise cause LDAP lookups to fail for everything on this Messaging Server system)
6. imsimta qm start ims-ms
The message to test1 will be delivered and the message to user1 will bounce, whereas it should go back in the queue to be retried later, once LDAP is working.
Sample mail.log_current entries from testing:
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms