Description Field Counts One Multibyte Character As One Character
(Doc ID 2747277.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 01, 2021
Applies to:Oracle Agile PLM Framework - Version 22.214.171.124 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Description field counts one 3 bytes character as one character. Due to this, user can add more than 240 bytes characters in the Description field. This behavior is different from Page Two/Page Three MultiText field
Description field to count one 3 bytes character as three characters, just like Page Two/Page Three MultiText field, so that user cannot input characters surpassing 240 bytes to the Description field
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
- Log into Java Client as admin user, go to Admin tab > Settings > Data Settings > Classes, and check the MaxLength set for Parts.Title Block.Description attribute. It is set to 240 by default
- Enable Parts.Page Two.MultiText31 attribute, and set the maximum length to 4000
- Log into Web Client, and create a part, and fill in Page Two.MultiText31 using single byte character "1". See you can enter up to 4000 characters. This is total 4000 bytes.
- Delete the value in Page Two.MultiText31
- Now fill in Page Two.MultiText31 using 3 bytes character "中". See you can enter up to 1333 characters. One 3 bytes character is counted as 3 characters. This is total 3999 bytes and it is less than 4000 bytes. This is expected
- Go to Title Block.Description field. Fill in the field with single byte character "1". See one character counts as 1. See you can enter up to 240 characters. This is total 240 bytes.
- Delete the value in Title Block.Description field
- Now fill in Title Block.Description using 3 bytes character "中". See you one 3 bytes character is counted as 1 character. You can enter 240 characters for "中". This is total 720 bytes. This is not expected.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document