Last updated on FEBRUARY 08, 2015
Applies to:Adverse Event Reporting System - Version 4.6.0 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
***Checked for relevance on 08-Feb-2015***
-- Problem Statement:
In AERS 4.6, after generating a letter from a PSP template file, the symbols like '®', '%' from letter
template are preceded by the character 'Â' in the letter opened in Microsoft Word.
The 'Â' character is not generated if letters are opened in HTML format inside a Web browser.
Also, the letters are opened up without any additional characters in Microsoft Word in AERS 4.5.
When the generated letter is opened in Microsoft Word, the symbols '®', '%' should not be
preceded by 'Â' character.
-- Steps To Reproduce:
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Go to opapps46\aers\database\schema\is\psp\ location and open for edit an existing letter
template (e.g. letter_initialletter.psp);
2. To open the generated letter with Word, add the following line at the very beginning of the
<% owa_util.mime_header(ccontent_type => 'application/msword');
3. Define vDrugName in Variable Declarations section:
vDrugName de_suspect_drugs.drug_name%TYPE := null;
4. Add the following statements:
for drugs in
(select drug_name, preferred_name
where de_suspect_drugs.case_id = p_caseid and primary_flag='Y'
5. In the HTML body of the letter template, add a text containing a reference to the special
symbol (e.g. ®):
"Thank you for providing us with information regarding the adverse events that you experienced
while using <%=vDrugName%>."
6. Save the template with the modification;
7. Reload the PSP template into the AERS database by executing the following command:
loadpsp -replace -user <user>/<passwd>@<db_aers> <letter_template>.psp
8. Login to AERS as a user having permissions to generate letters (e.g. SUPERUSER);
9. From main menu select "Cases"/"Open case";
10. Select a case and click on Open button;
11. From main menu select "Actions"/"Generate Letter";
12. From "Select Template" window, click on "Initial Letters" and select "Initial letter";
13. Press "OK" button;
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms