Printing in DocX fails with error "The File Document.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."
Last updated on OCTOBER 23, 2017
Applies to:Oracle BigMachines CPQ Cloud Service - Version 2014 R2 to 2016 R2 Update 4 [Release 2014 to 2016]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11), the "Paste from Word" feature in the Rich Text Editor (RTE) does not clean all text and this can cause an error. Having a list (bulleted or numbered) from Microsoft Word (2010 & 2013) can generate an error when attempting to print the document via DocX.
This error prevents the document from opening and gives the error:
Location: Part:/numbering.xml, Line 12, Column 31
Steps to Reproduce:
- Create a Rich Text attribute.
- Place the attribute on the quote layout and within Doc Engine.
- Create a DocX print action, such as View Proposal DocX.
- Place the action on the quote layout, such as on the Proposal Options tab.
- Deploy Commerce.
- In Microsoft Word 2010/2013, create a simple bulleted/numbered list with no additional styling and copy it.
- On a quote, open the RTE attribute that was created.
- In the RTE window, click "Paste from Word" and paste in the copied bulleted/numbered list.
- Click Insert into Editor. Save. Set and Close.
- Save the quote.
- Print the document with the print action that was created.
- The pop-up error will occur.
With additional testing, it was determined that bold, italic, and caps do not cause an error. When bullets or numbered lists are added to the text, the error is received. That is the case when no styling is used and the list is applied to that text.
There seems to be certain styles, such as Heading 1, Heading 7, Heading 9, and Intense Quote, that actually allow the list to be used and not cause an error.
Not applying any additional styling or using another style, such as Subtitle and Book Title, will still error.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms