Announcement: Exalytics Release Version 22.214.171.124.0 and OVM Server Upgrade Path for Existing OVM 3.2.9 Servers with OL6 Only
(Doc ID 2205509.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 24, 2022
Applies to:Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Version N/A and later
Exalytics In-Memory Machine X3-4 - Version All Versions and later
Oracle VM - Version 3.2.9 and later
Exalytics In-Memory Machine X2-4 - Version All Versions and later
Exalytics In-Memory Machine X4-4 - Version All Versions and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Exalytics "X" Series Servers (Models X2-4, X3-4 and X4-4)
This document provides a road map for upgrading an existing Exalytics "X" series OVM server with Linux 5, or Linux 6, from Release 126.96.36.199.0 to Exalytics Patch/Release 188.8.131.52.0 and Linux 5 or 6.
Release 184.108.40.206.0 includes:
- Oracle Virtual Machine (VM) Manager 3.3.3
- Oracle VM Server (OVS) 3.3.3 and kernel-uek-3.8.13-68.3.3.el6uek
- OVM server image update: Image version 220.127.116.11.0.el6
These updates are applicable to VM manager (installed on non-Exalytics machine), and the Exalytics OVS (dom0 on physical Exalytics box). The patch does not include any kernel updates for the existing OL5 or OL6 guests (domU). There are no updates for the existing OL5 guest image but there are updates to the OL6 base image template.
Please note that the Linux operating system (Oracle, Red Hat and others) does not support direct upgrade from OL5 to OL6 (see "3.1 Supported Upgrade Paths", Oracle Linux Release Notes for Release 6 Update 6).
Available options for OL5 OVM environments are to do one of the following:
- Upgrade OVM manager, server and image to OVM 3.3.3, but continue to use OL5 guests and/or optionally add new OL6 guests.
- Back up entire applications (i.e. OBIEE, EPM, Endeca, other) on existing OL5 guests. Then upgrade OVM manager, server and image to OVM 3.3.3. Install new OL6 guests (using Exalytics templates).Reinstall application software and then restore backed up artifacts (i.e. for OBIEE, this would be RPD, web catalog, configuration files, etc.). In this scenario, you can use SFTP to copy certain artifacts (i.e. OBIEE RPD or web catalog) from the original OL5 guest to the new OL6 guest.
Available options for OL6 OVM environments are:
- Upgrade VM Manager and OVS to 3.3.3
- Upgrade OVS and VM guests to OVM 3.3.3 and latest image version (18.104.22.168.0)
This document describes the upgrade actions.
It is recommended that you also review Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Exalytics Release 22.214.171.124.0 Upgrade and Certification <Document 2207117.1> before proceeding with the steps in this document.
Before undertaking the tasks in this document, the Exalytics server must be using either OVM 3.2.9 or OVM 3.3.3 with image version “126.96.36.199.0.” This image version correlates to Exalytics Release 188.8.131.52.0.
Image version can be verified by running the “imageinfo” command on the OVS (Dom0). For example on an OVM 3.2.9, OL5 server:
To update image version on existing VM 3.3.3, OL 6 guest
Download and install Patch 25139780. This patch is the ONLY update needed for OL 6 guests on VM server 3.3.3.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Before undertaking the tasks in this document, the Exalytics server must be using either OVM 3.2.9 or OVM 3.3.3 with image version “184.108.40.206.0.” This image version correlates to Exalytics Release 220.127.116.11.0.|
|Image version can be verified by running the “imageinfo” command on the OVS (Dom0). For example on an OVM 3.2.9, OL5 server:|
|A. If your VM manager is version 3.2.9, first update the VM manager to version 3.3.3.|
|B. Upgrade the existing 3.2.9 OVS to OVS 3.3.3 (dom0 on physical Exalytics box)|
|C. Upgrade OVM image from Exalytics 18.104.22.168.0.ovs-3.2.9 to Exalytics 22.214.171.124.0.ovs-3.3.3 (dom0)|
|4. To install new OL6 VM guests (with release 126.96.36.199.0 Linux versions) - optional|
|To update image version on existing VM 3.3.3, OL 6 guest|
|Contact Oracle Support as needed for additional information.|