UTL_FILE Throws ORA-29284 Or ORA-29283 When Attempting To READ File
Last updated on JULY 05, 2017
Applies to:PL/SQL - Version 18.104.22.168 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
*** Checked for relevance on 1st Apr 2015 ***
1. Error occurs only when reading a file using UTL_FILE.
ERROR at line x:
ORA-29284: file read error
ORA-06512: at line x
Where x can be any line number.
2. Truss file shows a block of file is read and subsequent blocks cannot be read or corrupted because of NLS (ORA_NLS10) settings.
For example truss file can show one or several of the following symptoms during or after the first read of block size of 1024:
file read error
file write error
invalid maximum line size
invalid file name
directory access denied
invalid offset specified for seek
file remove operation failed
file rename operation failed
A stream error occurred during compression or uncompression.
A data error occurred during compression or uncompression.
invalid mime header tag
invalid encoded string
The compressed representation is too big
3. Incorrect Directory path at Database and OS.
4. Incorrect file format. i.e., Integrity of the file is the being read or write.
- New application using UTL_FILE to read file.
- Existing application roll over after parameter change.
- Changes in environment (.profile file or spfile or init files or APPS environment) affecting NLS related settings change.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms