OS Authentication Fails With ORA-12638 On Non-English Windows System
Last updated on FEBRUARY 02, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 220.127.116.11 and later
Checked for relevance on 19-Apr-2013
- You are running Oracle on a Windows system with an non-English language (typically French, but may happen with other languages)
- sqlnet.ora parameter sqlnet.authentication_services = (NTS) for Active Directory authentication.
- The Oracle services run with the local system account (default)
- The Domain user is properly added to the local ORA_DBA group.
- When you try to connect with a Domain user it fails with the error ORA-12638
When you trace the connection using sqlnet tracing at level 16, the following two additional symptoms can be observed in the client side trace file:
- There's a special character in the packet that contains the username received by the client:
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] nsprecv: 45 42 41 54 54 45 55 52 |EBATTEUR|
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] nsprecv: 5C 53 79 73 74 E8 6D 65 |\Syst.me|
- Further down in the trace file the following errors are recorded also:
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] naun5authent: SSPI: 0x80090303 error in InitializeSecurityContext
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] naun5authent: exit
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] naunauthent: exit
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] nau_ccn: get credentials function failed
[11-JANV.-2011 14:43:08:370] nau_ccn: failed with error 12638
So far this is observed with Oracle 11.2 on Windows systems configured with the French language, the Oracle service is running with the local system account.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms