Adaptive Switching Between Log Write Methods can Cause 'log file sync' Waits
Last updated on JANUARY 22, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 22.214.171.124 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
- The database version is 126.96.36.199
- The log writer process on the database is blocking most of the other sessions and taking an average wait time of 10ms to commit.
- On checking the hardware, the I/O wait time is very small from the hardware side
- This means that all the time is on CPU processing the request.
- Database is OLTP-based and has high commits/second
- The same issue did not occur in 10g.
- The problem seems to 'go away' temporarily after the database is restarted but ultimately returns after a few days.
- AWR may show 'log file sync' waits as the highest wait:
The database was upgraded from 10.2.0.4 to 188.8.131.52.1.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms