Potential Ramifications of OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING parameter
Last updated on JANUARY 03, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.4 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
A complex query got different execution plans between test and production environment. Statistics are the same in both environments.
- Query performs differently on 2 similar systems (Production/Test)
- Both systems have OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING was set to 100. Default value for this parameter is 0.
- Parameters on the 2 systems are the same except SGA size is 10x larger (30Gb) on the "Bad" (Production) system that the Good (Test) (3Gb)
- Bad plan (Production) shows an additional INDEX SKIP SCAN step in the plan: (table CI_BILL is accessed via an index range scan on index XT033S1)
- Note both plans end up with the same cost.
SGA sizes differ considerably. Whereas in test SGA was only 3GB it was 30GB in production.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms