Last updated on JULY 02, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Exadata Storage Server Software - Version 220.127.116.11.0 and later
NOTE: This note has become obsolete and is not maintained.
- <document 1473002.1> should be followed for updating Exadata DB nodes currently on releases 18.104.22.168.2. or later
- When running Exadata Images older than 22.214.171.124.2, first update to 126.96.36.199.2 following the README instructions in <patch 13513611>. When required also update the Linux Operating system from 5.3 to 5.5 following <document 1284070.1>
As of Oracle Exadata Storage Server Software 11g Release 2 (11.2) 188.8.131.52.0, the minimal pack has been discontinued. The Linux database server update procedure uses the Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) for the distribution of the updates. The updates are now packaged as several rpms and the Linux YUM utility is used to apply the updates. This document will describe the following steps in this process:
- Preparing and Populating the yum Repository Server
- Understanding rollback
- Performing One-Time Setup on Database Servers of Oracle Exadata Database Machine using the onetime_yum Helper Scripts
- Updating Database Nodes previously patched or freshly imaged to 184.108.40.206.0, 220.127.116.11.1 or 18.104.22.168.0
- Rolling Back Software Changes
How to use this note
Depending on the Exadata Storage Software release currently running on your database nodes, you should review particular sections of this note. Regardless of your current release, you should review sections 1 through 4 and sections 7 through 9 as they will assist in ensuring a successful patching session.
Regardless of your current release, you must create a local yum repository to contain the Exadata ULN channel contents. To complete the repository creation process, you will execute the steps in Section 3 "Preparing and Populating the yum Repository Server". These steps can be done without downtime to the databases and applications on the database nodes and should be done well prior to the actual database node upgrade to reduce impact to application availability.
If your current release is 22.214.171.124.2 or earlier, you must perform an initial setup of the database node to allow for patching with yum and using the Exadata ULN channels. To perform both the initial setup and the actual upgrade, you will execute the steps in Section 5 "Performing One-Time Setup on Database Servers of Oracle Exadata Database Machine". Once these steps are completed successfully and all database nodes show the correct release in the imageinfo command, you are done with the patching session.
If your current release is 126.96.36.199.0 or later, the database node will already be configured to patch using yum and the Exadata ULN channels. To perform the upgrade, you will execute the steps in Section 6 "Updating Database Nodes previously patched or freshly imaged to 11.2.3.X.X". Once these steps are completed successfully and all database nodes show the correct release in the imageinfo command, you are done with the patching session.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms