STEP BY STEP RMAN DUPLICATE Database From RAC ASM To RAC ASM
Last updated on MAY 15, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.1 and later
Enterprise Manager for Oracle Database - Version 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 [Release 11.2]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Creating a RAC duplicate (clone) database from an existing RAC Database.
- Install/Prepare Oracle Clusterware (aka Grid infrastructure in 11g onwards) in clone Nodes
- Install Oracle RDBMS software Home in clone Nodes
- Make sure that all required pre-requisites / setup for Clusterware / Grid Infrastructure / RAC Oracle Home are executed and verified.
- In case of ASM storage, create required ASM diskgroups accessible to all clone Nodes.
- Use RMAN DUPLICATE to create a non-RAC database (cluster_database=FALSE) in any one of the clone nodes. In our example we will use RMAN ACTIVE DUPLICATE method introduced in 11g.
RMAN 'Duplicate From Active Database' Feature in 11G (Doc ID 452868.1)
Oracle10G RMAN Database Duplication (Doc ID 259694.1)
RMAN 'Duplicate Database' Feature in Oracle9i / 10G and 11.1 (Doc ID 228257.1)
- Convert the non-RAC clone (duplicate) database to RAC Database using tools like rconfig, Oracle Enterprise Manager, etc.
The steps are illustrated with example having below setup:
- Source Database (PROD) is a 3 Node RAC having version 22.214.171.124 for both Grid Infrastructure (GI) and Oracle RDBMS Home.
- Clone Database (UAT) needs to be a 2 Node RAC having version 126.96.36.199 for both Grid Infrastructure (GI) and Oracle RDBMS Home.
Source Database PROD (which is to be DUPLICATEd)
Database Name: PROD
Number of RAC Nodes: 3
Node Names: prod01, prod02, prod03
Instance Names: PROD1, PROD2, PROD3
Grid Infrastructure Version: 188.8.131.52
Oracle RDBMS Version: 184.108.40.206
ASM Diskgroups: +PROD1, +PROD2
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms