Last updated on AUGUST 28, 2014
Applies to:Oracle Exadata Storage Server Software - Version 126.96.36.199.0 to 188.8.131.52.1 [Release 11.2 to 12.1]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When process reclaimdisks.sh fails or is interrupted, the Exadata compute node will be left with an unexpected configuration.
The Logical group 0 (RAID 1) used by Linux partition is in degraded mode with only one disk (slot 0).
There is a new Logical group 1 (RAID 5) , using disks in slot 1, 2 and 3.
In order to execute the reclaimdisks procedure again, once the cause of the interruption or failure has been found and fixed, the logical group 0
has to be restored to optimal state. This document describes the failure during this process.
This document will assist your case if following symptoms are present:
- Reclaimdisk failed leaving the system on an unexpected configuration. The logical group 0 used by Linux, has only one member.
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 Started from /opt/oracle.SupportTools/reclaimdisks.sh
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Free mode is set
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Reclaim mode is set
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] This is SUN FIRE X4170 M2 SERVER machine
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Number of LSI controllers: 1
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Physical disks found: 4 (252:0 252:1 252:2 252:3)
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Logical drives found: 2
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Linux logical drive: 0
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] RAID Level for the Linux logical drive: 1
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Dual boot installation: yes
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] LVM based installation: yes
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Physical disks in the Linux logical drive: 1 (252:0)
2014-08-16 03:14:31 -0700 [INFO] Dedicated Hot Spares for the Linux logical drive: 0
2014-08-16 03:14:32 -0700 [INFO] Global Hot Spares: 0
2014-08-16 03:14:33 -0700 [ERROR] For X2-2 db node expected RAID 1 from 2 physical disks with no dedicated and no global hot spare
- The status of the Logical group is degraded
DISK GROUP: 0
Number of Spans: 1
Span Reference: 0x00
Number of PDs: 2
Number of VDs: 1
Number of dedicated Hotspares: 0
Virtual Drive Information:
Virtual Drive: 0 (Target Id: 0)
RAID Level : Primary-1, Secondary-0, RAID Level Qualifier-0
Size : 278.875 GB
Sector Size : 512
Is VD emulated : No
Mirror Data : 278.875 GB
State : Degraded
Strip Size : 1.0 MB
Number Of Drives : 2
Span Depth : 1
- The information of the second member for Logical Group 0 is not displayed. This is found on file megacli-CfgDsply.out (from sundiag) or use command '/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -cfgdsply -a0'
- There will be a new logical group 1 on RAID 5 using slots 1,2 and 3.
DISK GROUP: 0
DISK GROUP: 1
- Following the procedure to make the logical group 0 optimal, it will fail on step 3 during execution of command ' /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -pdreplacemissing -physdrv [252:1] -array0 -row1 -a0', with error
FW error description:
The specified physical disk doesn't have enough capacity to complete the requested command.
The complete procedure is:
1 Drop the Logical Group 1 (RAID 5):
# /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -CfgLdDel -L1 -Force -a0 -- in older versions Force may not needed.
2. Validate the information on the logical group 0 (Linux), related to the original member that was removed.
# /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -pdgetmissing -a0
3. Add back the disk from slot 1 to logical group 0
# /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -pdreplacemissing -physdrv [252:1] -array0 -row1 -a0
The arguments are obtained from command in point 2 where:
array 0 : Logical group 0
row 1 : physical disk 1
a0 : the disk array controller.
4. Start the rebuild of the logical group 0 (RAID 1)
# /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -pdrbld -start -physdrv [252:1] -a0
5. Check the progress
# /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -pdrbld -showprog -physdrv[252:1] -a0
reclaimdisks.sh was executed in order to reclaim the unused disks.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms