Alert - ODA: Extreme Slow IO Performance including: Possible Hang, Poor Disk or Diskgroup Performance with Low CPU and High CPU Utilitization
Last updated on MARCH 20, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Database Appliance Software - Version 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 [Release 2.7 to 12.1]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
We have seen ODA HW type: V1 X3-2 X4-2 X5-2 and all versions from 2.7 up to 126.96.36.199 can hit this issue.
This problem can have different final symptoms:
1. The whole system hang.
2. The RDBMS on the system hang.
3. All VM hang.
4. Everything is very slow.
5. ASM Disk got offline first then may dropped.
6. ASM diskgroup can be dropped.
7. Previous queries or applications can suddenly take 10x or more longer
8. IO metrics can suddenly spike hitting fractional seconds vs. previous millisecond IO and query times.
9. Sometime the issue can go away after couple hours or days. And come back after awhile.
But all of these case has one symptom:
One of more of the disks is using 100% util but the write/read IO on the disk is very small for example:
zzz ***Fri Jul 3 07:35:13 BST 2015
sdq 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 24.00 0.00 0.00 100.00
Here the 100% is the disk util and there is no io on the system. It keeps like this for more than 5 minutes mostly they hit the issue.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms