During Concurrent Multiple Instance Startup for a Single RDBMS Home 11gR2 Process SMCO died - ORA-27140: Attach To Post/wait Facility Failed for one or More Instances: Restart is fine
(Doc ID 2225042.1)
Last updated on JULY 27, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11 [Release 11.2]
Oracle Database Cloud Schema Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Machine - Version N/A and later
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Database Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Backup Service - Version N/A and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
During patching, 11gR2 databases sharing a single home encounter the following errors during the concurrent startups of more than one database/instance.
First instance startups after patching: In particular a conflict occurs with multiple processes while concurrently updating more than one database from the single home .
- This problem does not exist in 12c
- The problem can occur after upgrades if there are multiple databases sharing a single-patched 11gR2 Oracle_Home that has several database / instances
- The problem was seen on more than one RDBMS patchset level for the same 11gR2 databases and was also seen across several different instances on multiple Oracle Homes.
- While the problem may be seen during multiple instance concurrent startups, it has not been verified that the problem only occurs after 11g upgrades
- Meaning: it may be the concurrent startup itself of multiple instances for 11gR2 that generates the error
- The processes newly added to the 11g version associated with the errors are non-critical and can be disabled.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document