Database Recovery Through Resetlogs may not Run Fine with Old Control File Backup
Last updated on JULY 21, 2017
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 22.214.171.124 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Recovery though resetlogs does not run fine unexpectedly, when using control file backup taken before resetlogs. In following scenario, second recovery action at step 8 does not accept archived log file which is generated after resetlogs.
- Prepare database and take full backup including control files.
- Remove all data files and online redo log files, keep control files and archived log files.
- Restore data files from full backup
- Run incomplete media recovery, and open database with resetlogs.
- Remove all data files, online redo log files, control files and archived log files.
- Restore data files and control files from full backup
- Register all archived log files generated after step 1
- Recover database, Oracle does not suggest archived log file generated after resetlogs at step 4. Explicitly specify archived log file fails with ORA-342
When we fail, we will see following at step 8. arch1_2_908934106.dbf is generated before resetlogs, sequence#3 does not exist, arch1_1_908934381.dbf is generated after open resetlogs.
This problem does not happen on 10.2
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms