Desupport of Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) with Oracle Database Standard Edition 19c
(Doc ID 2504078.1)
Last updated on JANUARY 01, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Database - Standard Edition - Version 19.1 BETA to 19.1 BETA [Release 18]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) 19c is no longer supported in Oracle Database 19c Standard Edition (2). This document discusses choices and provides step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade Oracle Database 18c (or earlier) using a Real Application Clusters database to Oracle 19c.
The upgrade choices discussed in this note are summarized in the flow chart diagram below. In addition to using an inplace upgrade, Oracle offers an attractive upgrade to the Autonomous Database in the Oracle Cloud. For more information follow this link: http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/paas-iaas-universal-credits-3940775.pdf
Figure 1: Decision Flowchart
As starting with Oracle Database 19c, Oracle RAC in no longer supported with the Oracle Standard Edition(SE), customers attempting to upgrade to Oracle Database 19c will have to choose between one of the following upgrade paths, unless a migration into the Oracle Cloud can be considered.
- Upgrade from Standard Edition to Enterprise Edition.
- Convert the Oracle RAC Database to a Single Instance database.
Note that if an attempt is made to install an Oracle RAC 19c Database using Standard Edition, the Oracle Universal Installer will prevent the installation.
Similarly, the Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant will report an error, if an attempt is made to upgrade an existing Oracle RAC database to Oracle Database 19c using a Standard Edition Home.
1. Upgrade from Oracle RAC Standard Edition (SE) to Oracle RAC Enterprise Edition (EE)
Customers wanting to upgrade from an Oracle Database Standard Edition to Oracle Database 19c Enterprise Edition and preserve the Oracle RAC Database, should perform the following steps.
- Install Oracle Database 19c Enterprise Edition in a new Home. Choose the "Set up Software only" option.
- Choose the "Oracle Real Application Clusters Database Installation" and follow instructions on screen
- Choose Database Edition as "Enterprise Edition". Note that you cannot choose "Standard Edition", Else you will get the error
- Once the Home has been installed, execute dbua from the new Enterprise Edition Oracle RAC Enabled home and choose the SE2 Oracle RAC Database to be upgraded
- Click through the steps and complete the upgrade using dbua
- Confirm that the previously Standard Edition Database is now Oracle Enterprise Edition
2. Convert Oracle RAC Standard Edition to a Single Instance (Non-RAC) Standard Edition
Customers wanting to convert their Oracle RAC Database to an Oracle Single Instance Database prior to upgrading to Ofracle Database 19c, should perform the following steps
- Install a new Single Instance home with either Oracle 18c "Standard Edition" ("Enterprise Edition" can be chosen as needed). Remember to choose "Set up Software only" as shown in the screen below
Choose "Single instance database installation"
Choose "Standard Edition 2"
Complete the "Single Instance" installation by clicking through the rest of the install screens
- From the existing home, shutdown the database on all instances and drop the database configuration from Oracle Clusterware Registry
Please test the steps on a test database prior to making changes on production.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!