Overview of the Types of Materialized Views Available
(Doc ID 258227.1)
Last updated on AUGUST 04, 2018
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 126.96.36.199 to 12.2 BETA1 [Release 7.0 to 12.2]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
This article gives a short description of materialized views (MVIEW) including readonly and updatable MVIEWs. The information supplied applies to Oracle releases from 7.x to 11.x.
The terms Materialized View (MVIEW) are synonymous and they will be used interchangeably.
The following terms are used in this article:
- Master Site: The site where the master table is located
- Master Table: The table(s) which are referenced by the mview query
- (MVIEW) Base Table: The table that is created with the MVIEW create statement, and that stores the rows that satisfy the MVIEW query
- Master Log: The log table that is used by the fast refresh mechanism
Examples are provided with the following assumptions:
- Master_db is the master site.
- Snap_db is the materialized view site
- There is a database link called master_db from SCOTT user of snap_db to the SCOTT schema of master_db
Note that the examples provided below do not supply all the details of the setup.
For a complete discussion of the MVIEW environment and configuration refer to Note:256241.1
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!