Alert - ODA: Patching a DCS Appliance with Reduced CPU Core Count to release 18.7 Fails and Can Result in an OS Panic or Boot Loop
(Doc ID 2608175.1)
Last updated on APRIL 17, 2023
Applies to:Oracle Database Appliance Software - Version 18.1 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
This problem can have one or more of the following symptoms:
After applying the 18.7
- There is an OS panic shortly after the startup of the ODA on 18.7.
- The OS goes into a continual loop boot cycle preventing the normal startup of the ODA.
In order to encounter this problem you must have the following configuration:
- The ODA must use the DCS Stack (Bare Metal)
- Use less than the total number of hardware cpus available on the ODA hardware
There are reduced cpucores (bios cores <> list-cpucores) *
This ALERT only applies to 18.7 + DCS Stack with Capacity on Demand and the enabled cpus are less than the ODA hardware capacity
* The CPU count available for the ODA will vary depending on the hardware used.
The stack looks similar to this:
Upgrading the Oracle Database Appliance using the DCS Stack to 18.7
- or -
Deploying the ODA on the DCS stack to 18.7 but not applying the 30269395 fix
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!