Unable To Recreate Data Guard Fast Start Failover Configuration With DGMGRL
(Doc ID 454418.1)
Last updated on APRIL 03, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.1 to 126.96.36.199 [Release 10.2 to 12.1]
Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Machine - Version N/A and later
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Database Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Cloud Exadata Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Express Cloud Service - Version N/A and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
***Checked for relevance on 21-Sep-2012***
*** Reviewed for Relevance 16-Jul-2015 ***
fictitious data from the Oracle sample schema(s), Public Documentation delivered with an Oracle database product or
other training material. Any similarity to actual environments, actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental and
not intended in any manner.
For the purposes of this document, the following fictitious environment is used as an example to describe the procedure:
Primary DB Name: ORCL1
Primary Net Connection Alias: 2primarydb
Primary Server Name: primserver
Standby DB Unique Name: ORCL1STB
Standby Net Connection Alias: 2standbydb
Data Guard Configuration: ORCL1DG
-- Problem Statement:
On 10.2.0.x in Production:
When attempting to recreate a Data Guard Broker Configuration the following Error occurs when attempting
to edit the Configuration Property LogXptMode in the Primary Site :
Error: ORA-16654: Fast-Start Failover is enabled.
-- Steps To Reproduce:
This Issue can be reproduced at will with the following Steps:
Remove the Data Guard Broker Configuration while Fast Start Failover is enabled.
1. Set up a Fast Start Failover Configuration and ensure FS_FAILOVER_STATUS is SYNCHRONIZED.
2. Place the Standby Database into READ ONLY Mode and shutdown the Standby Listener.
3. Perform a DML load on the Primary until FS_FAILOVER_STATUS becomes UNSYNCHRONIZED
4. Once the UNSYNCHRONISED State can be seen in the Primary site, kill the DMON-Process and remove the DG Broker Configuration Files.
5. DMON will restart but the FS_FAILOVER_STATUS will remain UNSYNCHRONISED.
6. At this Point the Creation of a new Data Guard Broker Configuration fails when attempting to edit the
configuration Property LogXptMode and set it to SYNC.
-- Business Impact:
The Issue has the following Business Impact:
Due to this Issue, the Data Guard Broker Configuration cannot be re-enabled and the Standby Database is
no longer protected by the Data Guard Broker and the Observer. So Fast-Start Failover is not possible at this Stage.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document