10.2.0.3 PMON Crashes on Startup on AIX 5L 5.3 ML05 -- Works on ML06
(Doc ID 458442.1)
Last updated on MARCH 21, 2019
Applies to:Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition - Version 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.3 [Release 10.2]
Oracle Database Cloud Schema Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Express Cloud Service - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Machine - Version N/A and later
Oracle Database Cloud Exadata Service - Version N/A and later
IBM AIX on POWER Systems (64-bit)
AIX5L Based Systems (64-bit)
***Checked for relevance on 29-oct-2010 ***
1. As soon as a database is started, PMON starts and immediately aborts; an ORA-7445 , , , , ,  error can be seen in the alert log.
2. There is no call stack in the PMON tracefile except for a memory address. The PMON tracefile contains this message:
Exception signal: 4 0x0 (00000000) 0
3. The tracefile for the PSP0 process contains the following errors:
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:invalid_process failed with status: 0
ORA-27301: OS failure message: Error 0
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: skgpstime3
ORA-27144: attempt to kill process failed
4. This appears to be a separate issue from the Oracle and AIX 5.3 ML05 interoperability issue described in <NOTE:390656.1> - "IO Interoperability Issue between IBM ML05 and Oracle Databases"; the ORA-27302 errors indicate different OS dependencies.
Conditions under Which the Error Reproduced:
1. An ASM instance and DBCA were used to create a general-purpose database.
2. When the 10.2.0.3 patchset is applied, and when only the 10.2.0.1 base is installed (base is recent download from OTN)
3. RAC is either installed or uninstalled (no libha AIX fileset was present after RAC was uninstalled).
4. The instance is started with 'startup' or 'startup nomount'.
5. The required AIX 5.3 ML05 patch, APAR IY89080, is installed on the database server.
6. The required Oracle <Patch 5496862>, is included in the 10.2.0.3 and is, thus, installed implicitly.
7. Interim patches <Patch 5556081> and <Patch 5557962> are applied (unknown at this time if this is a contributing factor or not).
8. The Oracle binaries have been relinked after application of ML05 to AIX 5.3.
9. The Oracle pre-install script for AIX was run; all checks were passed.
10. The install was investigated and determined to be successful.
1. This was a new install. The AIX 5.3 maintenance level ML05 patchset was applied.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document