R12: Invoice Actions: Troubleshooting Tax errors: 'User-Defined exception', 'An unexpected Error has occurred', 'A mandatory constraint to generate unique...violated' and others
(Doc ID 1313644.1)
Last updated on JULY 08, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Payables - Version 12.0.1 to 12.2.6 [Release 12.0 to 12.2]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Payables Invoices Entry form - APXINWKB
Payables Batch Validation Program - APXAPRVL
This article will help you solve most unhandled exceptions in the integration between Payables and eBTax (old version of this article is still available here <Note 1365130.1>, as of Oct-2011 it is no longer maintained).
Several of the scenarios in this document have had different root causes since R12 introduction (e.g: ZX_LINES_SUMMARY_U1 constraint violated has had numerous causes), this article provides the last solution available which includes all previous ones.
How to find your scenario
The user interface (e.g: APXINWKB) or the Batch Validation Process (APXAPRVL) post generic errors whenever an unhandled exception occurs in the Tax Engine. Example:
Exception: User-Defined Exception
Please correct the problem or contact your System Administrator.
The underlying causes however, are varied. FND Debug Logs (<Note 458371.1>) provide detail to the procedure level allowing for a better identification of the underlying issue.
Whenever possible generate FND Debug Logs and scan it for the keywords in bold under the column "Detailed error" in the troubleshooting section below. You will most likely find a direct match.
Generic errors you will first observe in the UI or APXAPRVL
- Exception: User-Defined exception: this is a semi-handled exception, the system expected this could happen but could not recover.
- Exception: An unexpected error has occurred: this is an unhandled exception, the system did not expect this to happen.
- Exception: A mandatory constraint to generate unique summary tax line is violated with error ORA-00001: this is a unique constraint violated error and it is a special case of an unhandled exception.
- Other specific exceptions: include errors finding tax rates, codes, etc.
- APXAPRVL will not display the messages equally, rather they will be prefixed by "MSG-00000: When Others:" (e.g: MSG-00000: When Others:User-Defined Exception)
- FND Logs will display the messages with some differences and in conjunction with ORA-20001, APP-SQLAP-10000, and others. Example: "APP-SQLAP-10000: A mandatory constraint to gene occurred in", which in essence is the same as "Exception: A mandatory constraint to generate unique summary tax line is violated with error ORA-00001" in the UI.
- Messages can vary across different point releases of R12 in their text, but not their keywords.
- Use the bold keywords under the column "Detailed error" in the troubleshooting section below to identify the exact one within the FND Debug Log.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|How to find your scenario|
|Generic errors you will first observe in the UI or APXAPRVL|