Junk Record Exist In Asset Table For Manually Created/updated Instance Number
Last updated on OCTOBER 28, 2016
Applies to:Oracle Enterprise Asset Management - Version 12.1.3 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
On : 12.1.3 version, Enterprise Asset Management > Asset Numbers
When an item instance is created in Install base and then the serial number updated, two records are created for the item instance in MTL_SERIAL_NUMBERS. These cannot be then be updated in EAM.
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Navigation : Install Base > Item Instances > Create an Item instance
2.Now update the serial number for this item instance.
3. Two records are being created in MTL_SERIAL_NUMBERS.
4. Both instances are visible in EAM forms and cannot be updated. If the user tries to change maintainable flag or area or asset number - any updateable field - they CANNOT do so.
5. The cause of this issue is the creation of the junk record in MTL_SERIAL_NUMBERS table. When this record is created, it prevents the update of ANY asset.
6. Why are they using this business scenario?
- They are using IB because owner has to be outside party, so they cannot create it in EAM as then they cannot change the Owner.
- If they do NOT update the serial number in IB - the issue is OK. But they need to update serial number to instance number for their scenario
- They are using IB because they cannot update the owner if they use EAM to create asset.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms