Erroneous Success Message Presented On Full Cycle Count Purge
Last updated on MARCH 28, 2016
Applies to:Oracle Inventory Management - Version 12.1.2 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When attempting to run a full cycle count purge, the log file indicates a successful deletion of a cycle count from all relevant tables, but the final message is incorrect.
The cycle count header is NOT purged and the message "APP-INV-05717: Successfully purged MTL_CYCLE_COUNT_HEADERS table" is wrongly displayed. The cycle count still appears in the list of available cycle counts after the purge.
1. There is a known issue - see Bug 5009896. The reason is also documented in Note 727412.1 - existing transactions for the cycle count exist in MTL_MATERIAL_TRANSACTIONS.
From Bug 5009896:
...since this cycle count has some transactions in the transaction table
(MTL_MATERIAL_TRANSACTIONS) table the header record will not be purged. The
reason is, if we purge this count it would leave orphan records in
MMT which is not correct so the system has been designed in a way to care of
This is expected. Once the historical transactions have been purged and there
are no rows in MMT for the corresponding cycle count then the header can also
be successfully purged. For details on Historical Transactions Purge,
refer to the Inventory User's Guide.
2. We should not be throwing this message in this case, as we are giving incorrect information. A code fix is requested to display the correct warning message and the reason that the cycle count header is not purged.
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps:
1. Query the cycle count to be purged.
2. Select purge from the tools menu, providing a cut-off date and unchecking the historical purge checkbox.
3. Run the purge and observe the log file that explicitly tells you you succeeded.
4. Query the cycle count again - it is still present.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms