How to Reuse the Serial After Component Is Expired ?
(Doc ID 2661229.1)
Last updated on APRIL 27, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Installed Base - Version 12.1.3 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
There is a requirement to reuse a component serial number. Review the case below, as per the document 2305372.1.
You have set up following BOM
Both A and B are defined as a serialized at sales order issue, and IB-tracked item
Both of these parts have the same serial number physically printed on them. The A is the item whose SN is scanned during shipment.
- A was shipped for an internal order. Instance XXX was created.
- A was received in the Netherlands. Instance XXX status was changed to EXPIRED.
- A was shipped to a customer from Netherlands. Instance XXX was changed to CREATED. A "Component Of" configuration was established with component B and instance YYY was created.
- Updated the serial number of instance YYY to be the same as the SN on intance XXX. Now both XXX and YYY have the same SN.
- A was RMA returned and EXPIRED. At this time, the configuration relationship with YYY was expired. The item B was also RMA-ed and EXPIRED.
- A was re-shipped to a customer again. A "Component Of" configuration was established with a new instance ZZZ instead of re-activating instance YYY
This is current functionality. When relationship is expired. For next shipment new component instance and new relationship is created.
Question: How to update the SN of instance ZZZ, when there is already an instance for this part number (instance YYY) containing the serial number ?
There is a "Created" status instance ZZZ (with a blank SN) and "Expired" instance YYY (with serial number). While trying to update ZZZ with YYY's SN, get a unique key violation error.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document