Installation of Oracle VM Server 3.1 Fails on Dell R815 if DAPC Active
(Doc ID 1498719.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 01, 2019
Applies to:Oracle VM - Version 3.1.1 and later
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure - Version N/A and later
The condition under which failure occurs are when both:
- DAPC is active
- more than 24 AMD 6274 processors are enabled
The condition occurs when:
- The OVM Server distribution media is booted.
- It gives the documented display screen, to which the requisite null response is given.
- Instead of proceeding with install, a never-ending series of error messages are displayed that include:rip hypercall_page +0x223/0x1000
rip hypercall_page +0x22a/0x1000
Collecting diagnostics requires serial console to be enabled. Tools such as kdump are of no use as the problem occurs prior to the dom0 kernel being initialised.
The hardware is Dell R815 with 64 x AMD Opteron™ Processors, Model 6274, with BIOS Option DAPC ("Dell Active Power Controller") enabled.
Whilst the Dell R815 is on the "Hardware Certified List", the specification of the R815 was changed after the certification was published:
- the AMD Opteron™ Processor, Model 6274 was introduced
- the BIOS Option DAPC ("Dell Active Power Controller") was introduced
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!