[Oracle PCA / OVM ] Unable To Add Virtual Disks to a Virtual Machine
(Doc ID 2733217.1)
Last updated on DECEMBER 01, 2020
Applies to:Oracle VM - Version 3.4.1 and later
Created a new virtual disk in a repository.
When adding it to the virtual machine the "create VmDiskMapping" operation failed with error:
Reviewed the solution in "[PCA/OVM] Hotplug vDisk Fails when VM Guest Runs Out of Frames (Doc ID 2543042.1)"
- the Compute Node ("ovm server", "ovs", "dom0") already had the solution applied ("gnttab_max_frames=512")
- virtual disks could be added to other virtual machines on the same Compute Node
- The calculation in "How to Determine the Most Suitable Value for "gnttab_max_frames" Parameter? (Doc ID 2420022.1)" showed gnttab_max_frames setting was sufficient
Reviewed "Failed to Add a Virtual Disk to a VM "Error: Device xvde is already connected" (Doc ID 2296647.1),
- the symptoms did not quite match - the "xm list -l" command showed the slot was not in use
- the "xm block-attach" command was successfully used to add the virtual disk to the slot (this was then reversed with "xm block-detach" to prevent other problems)
All repositories were refreshed, and the OVM Manager UI database re-sync'd as per solution of "Oracle VM: OVM Manager GUI Out Of Sync With DB - "Command Failed/OVMEVT_00C014D_001 Async command failed on server" (Doc ID 2118413.1)"
The OVM Command Line Interface (CLI) also got the same error.
No changes had been made other than adding virtual disks to virtual machines.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document