INAS not Calculating Prorated EFC for Non-Standard Period on Need Summary, When Enrollment Greater than Nine Months
(Doc ID 2857967.1)
Last updated on MARCH 24, 2022
Applies to:PeopleSoft Enterprise CS Financial Aid - Version 9.2 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
When INAS calculates for students with enrollment greater than 9 months - meaning, enrollment in both the academic and non-standard (summer) award periods - the estimated family contribution (EFC) is not being prorated across both award periods. INAS calculates this group of students no differently than the students enrolled for just nine months, with the result that need summary only shows the prorated EFC amount in the academic period, and the non-standard period shows an EFC of 0 and 0 months.
When a student is enrolled more than nine months, it's expected that need summary will show a calculated EFC (when the EFC is > 0) in both award periods. Along with that, it's also expected that the 'FM' extension link should show the rule set populated and the non-standard months updated to the number of months of enrollment, within the 'Budget Durations' link on the page.
The issue can be reproduced at will with the following steps. Note, the first 3 steps are just confirming assumptions made about the setup used at the time the issue is reproduced; setup is typically configured just once, not every time.
- Under Set Up SACR > Product Related > Financial Aid > Application Processing > INAS 20nn–20nn Global Options > Global and Federal Options, it's assumed there is at least one rule set to calculate with Federal data source and methodology that has been used to calculate INAS for the aid year.
- Under FM Budget Durations, it's also assumed that Academic is set to 9 and Non-Standard to 0 - so that the majority of students (who only enroll in the Academic period) have the entire EFC prorated to only the Academic period.
- The last assumption is that the rule set from steps 1-2 is linked on Set Up SACR > Install > Financial Aid Installation > Financial Aid Defaults and/or Set Up SACR > Product Related > Financial Aid > Aid Year > Valid Careers for Aid Year and/or Set Up SACR > Product Related > Financial Aid > Aid Year > Valid Programs for Aid Year > Valid Programs for Aid Year and Career. Note that a value set at the Program level will take precedence over a value set at the Career level which will take precedence over the value set in the defaults.
- Navigate to Financial Aid > Federal Application Data > Correct 20nn-20nn ISIR records, and select a student enrolled more than 9 months and with a non-zero EFC (larger EFC's work best for testing).
- Click the 'Need Summary' link on the first tab (or any tab) and verify there is a value showing for the 'Federal Rule Set' field in the 'Federal Calc Information' box. If the value is populated (not blank), that means INAS has been calculated. The value showing should also match the setup value from step 1. If the value is blank, click 'Return' and click the INAS button to invoke INAS for the student; then once INAS completes, click the 'Need Summary' link again and verify the 'Federal Rule Set' field now shows the value from step 1.
- Click to row 2 of 2, for the non-standard period, and note the EFC and 'Mo.' fields in the Federal column (still) show 0.
- Click 'Return' then click 'FM' link and note nothing is populated on the INAS Federal Extension page.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document