Handheld Sync Improvements
Last updated on MARCH 01, 2018
Applies to:Siebel Handheld - Version 126.96.36.199 PDA  to 15.10 [IP2015] [Release V7 to V15]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
A couple of handheld sync improvements have been made.
Here a list of the new features.
(0) When Batch Sync and Store-and-Forward Messaging are used in parallel, the two upload options of Batch Sync are useless.
To avoid selecting these options erronously, they can be inactivated with following new value in the PDA registry, Siebel section:
DisableDeferred, values = Y/N, default = N
For more details please see: Handheld, Usage of Batch Sync and Store-and-Forward Messaging in parallel (Doc ID 1437678.1)
(1) Sync window displays the connection status:
Server = Reachable / Unreachable
The update interval of the status is given by a new value in the PDA registry, Siebel section:
InternetConnectionCheckInterval, default = 15000 (15 sec)
(2) The connection check sends a dummy URL to the web server, which responds with an error.
The server is regarded as unreachable when the error is not received within a certain time.
In case of slow network connections the server response can arrive later than the default waiting time.
To get correct Reachable / Unreachable status the waiting time needs to be increased.
The waiting time is given by a new value in the PDA registry, Siebel section:
InternetOptionPingTimeout, default = 4000 (4 sec)
(3) The connection check can be completely disabled.
This is controlled by a new value in the PDA registry, Siebel section:
DisableConnectionCheck, values = Y/N, default = N
Note: even when DisableConnectionCheck = Y leave the related values InternetConnectionCheckInterval
and InternetOptionPingTimeout at the default, or at least they should be consistent.
For example do not set the ping timeout larger than the check interval.
(4) Stop button in sync window: works immediately
it is no longer necessary to wait for the 'finishing last command'
(5) Start button in sync window: works immediately
it is no longer necessary to go back to application before trying a new sync
(6) When a wireless internet connection (GPRS) is used, in older Siebel versions the handheld sync relied on an already existing connection to the network.
The sync process failed when there was no connection. This was fixed
See Doc ID 544009.1: Siebel Handheld does not connect on GPRS automatically.
However, there are issues when more than one process accesses the wireless connection methods of the operating system. Therefore in the PDA registry, Siebel section, a new value was introduced which allows to switch off the automated connection setup:
OpenDataConnectionOnSync, values = Y/N, default = Y
(7) When DB extraction is started and the connection fails, then the sync OM does not terminate immediately.
It completes the extraction and when no Logoff request is received, it completes the other tasks.
When this is finished it waits until the Session Timeout terminates the task. Only after this the user can start a next sync attempt.
With the fix the user must not wait until the sync OM dies with timeout. The PDA now can re-connect to a session when it is still running.
(8) Once a DB is extracted for a user via Full Sync the same DB can be used again after a certain time.
This avoids multiple extractions when user syncs multiple times is a sequence (due to network issues)
The feature is implemented by a new Settings parameter in Administration - Mobile > Application Administration:
"FullSyncExtractionExpiration" (integer values, in minutes)
To make the new parameter available it must be manually added to the LOV table, type = HANDHELD_SETTING
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms