prstat and top commands don't show too much memory being used by processes and system is not using too much kernel and page cache memory, where did the system memory go?
Last updated on JULY 29, 2016
Applies to:Solaris Operating System - Version 10 3/05 and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
***Checked for relevance on 06-May-2016***
- vmstat free column shows low values
- prstat and top commands don't show too much memory being used by processes
- mdb memstat command doesn't show high kernel or page cache usage, however it shows a greater than expected value for the "Anonymous" row.
- System might be paging out or swapping threads to swap device (vmstat's sr column greater than 0) causing performance problems.
- "ipcs -ma" or "ipcs -ZAm" shows 0 in NATTCH column and the process that created that segment (CPID) no longer exists
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP CREATOR CGROUP NATTCH SEGSZ CPID LPID ATIME DTIME CTIME ISMATTCH PROJECT ZONE
m 83886104 0 --rw-rw---- 40021 dbax 60022 dbax 0 34292629504 24490 24490 9:56:37 9:56:37 9:56:09 0 101 zoneX
m 83886103 0 --rw-rw---- 40021 dbax 60022 dbax 0 201326592 24490 24490 9:56:09 9:56:37 9:56:09 0 101 zoneX
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms