IBM LTO - Drive Checkout Procedure for IBM LTO Drives When ITDT is Unavailable
(Doc ID 1512254.1)
Last updated on JUNE 01, 2020
Applies to:IBM LTO6 Tape Drive - Version All Versions and later
IBM LTO7 Tape Drive - Version All Versions and later
IBM LTO5 Tape Drive - Version All Versions and later
Information in this document applies to any platform.
IBM drives are capable of a number of diagnostic functions without the need for using the IBM ITDT utility which requires customer interaction and the installation of the ITDT program on the customer's server which may not be allowed due to site restrictions.
The available tests are (using IBM LTO5 as an example) :
The drive can:
- Run diagnostics
- Test write and read functions
- Test a suspect tape cartridge
- Update firmware
- Perform other diagnostic and maintenance functions
Available tests (and OCD character display (the 'Function code') indicating the drive mode) are:
Function Code 0: Maintenance Mode
Function Code 1: Run Drive Diagnostics
Function Code 2: Update Drive Firmware from FMR Tape
Function Code 3: Create FMR Tape
Function Code 4: Force a Drive Dump
Function Code 5: Copy Drive Dump
Function Code 6: Run Host Interface Wrap Test
Function Code 7: Run RS-422 Wrap Test
Function Code 8: Unmake FMR Tape
Function Code 9: Display Error Code Log
Function Code A: Clear Error Code Log
Function Code C: Insert Cartridge into Tape Drive
Function Code E: Test Cartridge & Media
Function Code F: Write Performance Test
Function Code H: Test Head
Function Code J: Fast Read/Write Test
Function Code L: Load/Unload Test
Function Code P: Post Error Reporting Enabled
Function Code U: Post Error Reporting Disabled
The drive must be in maintenance mode (showing '0' on the OCD) to perform these functions.
Attention: Maintenance functions cannot be performed concurrently with read or write operations. While in maintenance mode, the tape drive does not accept SCSI commands from the server.
Entering Maintenance Mode
The drive must be in maintenance mode to run drive diagnostics or maintenance functions.
To place the unit in maintenance mode:
1. Make sure that no cartridge is in the drive.
2. Press the Unload Button three times within two seconds. 0 appears in the Single-character Display (SCD), and the Status Light turns amber.
Note: If a cartridge is in the tape drive, it will eject the first time that you press the Unload Button and the drive will not be placed in maintenance mode. To continue placing the drive in maintenance mode, perform the preceding step.
Maintenance functions cannot be performed concurrently with read or write operations. While in maintenance mode, the drive does not receive SCSI commands from the server.
Exiting Maintenance Mode:
The drive must be in maintenance mode to run drive diagnostics or maintenance functions. To exit maintenance mode:
1. Press and hold the Unload Button for 3 or more seconds then release the button to take the drive out of maintenance mode. If no error is detected, 0 temporarily appears in the SCD, then goes blank. The drive then exits maintenance mode and the Status Light will return to Green.
2. If an error is detected, the SCD shows an error code but still exits maintenance mode. To determine the error, locate the code in “Error Codes and Messages” within the IBM Setup, Operator and Service Guide (attached). To clear the error, turn the power off, then on again.
Note: The drive also exits maintenance mode automatically after it completes a maintenance function or after 10 minutes if no action has occurred.
For full details on running the individual tests please refer to the IBM Setup, Operator and Service Guide. Appendix B.
N.b. The above instructions are from the IBM LTO5 Setup, Operator and Service Guide. Other drive version instructions may differ. Use the appropriate manual for the drive you are using. The above is for initial guidance only.
Field Engineers, Level 1 and 2 TSC Engineers
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document