VTCS Audit of VLE results in unlinked VTV data
(Doc ID 1578306.1)
Last updated on FEBRUARY 25, 2021
Applies to:Sun Virtual Library Extension (VLE) - Version 1.1 to 1.3 [Release 1.0]
Sun StorageTek Virtual Tape Control Software (VTCS) - Version 6.2 to 7.2 [Release 6.0 to 7.0]
Sun StorageTek Virtual Tape Control Software (VTCS) for VSM Fujitsu MSP - Version Not Applicable to Not Applicable [Release N/A]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
VTCS audit of VLE can cause one or more copies of a VTV to become unlinked in the CDS.
Essentially by unlinking a VTV copy in the CDS, that VTV copy is no longer available to the customer.
- Audit of VLE could result in as few as one copy of VTV data remaining on VLE depending on the customer configuration and VTCS policy for managing data stored on VLE.
- For example: VLE1 and VLE2 are connected via a copy link. VTCS policy specifies that a copy of each VTV will be stored on both VLE1 and VLE2.
- VTV is migrated from VTSS to VLE1 (Copy 1).
- Per policy, VTCS then migrates a second copy to VLE2; the copy is performed via VLE-to-VLE copy operation. (Copy 2).
- VTCS currently shows both valid copies in the CDS; one on each VLE; per policy.
- A VTCS Audit of VLE2 is performed. VTCS examines the metadata for the VTV on VLE2 and determines it is the same as for the VTV stored on VLE1. VTCS then unlinks the VTV copy on VLE2 leaving only one copy of the VTV on VLE1 according to the CDS.
- The unlinked VTV data will not be recovered by VTCS automatically and a second copy of data would only be re-written by re-migrating the VTV or a Reconcile be performed.
- All VLE systems using VLE 1.1 or VLE 1.2 AND are configured to utilize VLE-to-VLE copy operations. If VLE-to-VLE copy is not used there is no exposure.
- VTV data stored on VLE is NOT exposed if:
- For multiple VLEs, there are no copy links connecting two (or more) VLE systems together – In other words, the only data path connections to the VLE(s) are from the VTSS (VSM5 or VSM6).
- For a single VLE, there is only a single copy (and not multiple copies) of a VTV on the VLE.
- VTVs that are stored on RTDs or in the VTSS buffer are not exposed to this issue.
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document