Oracle Secure Global Desktop Version 5.4 is Now Available, Supersedes 5.3
(Doc ID 2381083.1)
Last updated on DECEMBER 24, 2020
Applies to:Oracle Secure Global Desktop - Version 5.4 to 5.4 [Release 5.0]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
We are pleased to announce the 5.4 release of Oracle's Secure Global Desktop (SGD) product. This update is a full-featured product release that may be installed directly on new systems, or be used as an upgrade on designated migration platforms, with caveats as outlined below.
> (Doc ID 2093579.2) - Oracle Secure Global Desktop, Release Announcement Reference
Oracle Secure Global Desktop
Oracle Secure Global Desktop provides secure access to centralized, server-hosted Windows, UNIX, mainframe, and midrange applications from a wide variety of popular client devices, including Windows PCs, Mac OS X systems, Oracle Solaris workstations, Linux PCs, thin clients, and more. Additionally, Oracle Secure Global Desktop provides access to full-screen desktop environments, allowing administrators the freedom to use a single solution to provide access to both server-based applications and server-hosted desktop environments such as Microsoft Remote Desktop Services.
The 5.4 release is a feature update of SGD. This update includes new functionality, and several strategic performance and stability improvements to the 5.3 architecture. For detailed information regarding the significant feature enhancements of 5.4 over previous platforms, we recommend reviewing the New Features section of the Release Notes, included within the Product Documentation on Oracle Tech Network. (OTN).
Significant new features in the 5.4 release include:
- A new, default login experience for SGD Users
- Automatic launch of the SGD Client without using Java Software
- User authentication using Client Certificates
- Application authentication using SSH Keys
Additional Improvements include:
- Automated reconfiguration of a Single-Host Gateway Deployment
- HTML5 Workspace Improvements
- New, 64-bit SGD Clients for Linux Platforms
- SGD Server Performance Improvements
Changes in Release 5.4
After these new features, there have also been several significant functional changes in the operation and support of Secure Global Desktop that were delivered in the previous feature release, (SGD 5.3). These refinements include:
- Forced Authentication changes
- Improvements for Load-Balanced Gateway Deployments
- Enhanced Client IP Address Information within SGD Gateway Deployments
- Installation Program Changes for the SGD Client
- X11 Forwarding enabled for new X Application objects
- Changes to the SGD Enhancement Module
- Changes for Kerberos Authentication
- Changes to SecurID Agent Software
- Retirement of TeemTalk Emulator Software
- New SGD Enhancement Module Documentation
The Section 3.2 of the official SGD 5.4 Release Notes enumerate all of the significant defects (Bug Fixes) that have been identified and resolved within the new 5.4 release. These fixes supersede those delivered within 5.3, and the subsequent patch set updates (p1-p3) intended for that platform.
Updated Third Party Components
The following third party components are bundled with Secure Global Desktop, and have been updated in the 5.4 Release. For more details regarding Third Party components within the Web Services stack, please see the SGD Webserver section of the Installation Guide.
This release of SGD includes Java 8 update 161.
SGD Web Service Components.
The SGD web server consists of several components, the following table lists the component versions for this release of SGD.
|Apache HTTP Server||2.4.29|
The SGD 5.4 release will support upgrades from the following Secure Global Desktop versions only:
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.3
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.2
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.1
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 5.0
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 4.71
- Oracle Secure Global Desktop Software version 4.63
Download the SGD 5.40 Media Pack
This product release is available to all Oracle customers that have registered their user accounts.
To download Secure Global Desktop 5.4 media:
- Log in to Oracle Software Delivery Cloud (https://edelivery.oracle.com) and sign in with a valid Oracle user name to download Oracle products.
- Select "Download Package" from the presented drop down list, enter the string "Secure Global Desktop" in the text area, and click the Search button.
- Simply click on the desired Download Package, "Oracle Secure Global Desktop (220.127.116.11.0)." to move the item to your cart.
- Click on the Shopping Cart Icon to continue.
- Select the desired installation platform(s) for the download from the Platforms / Languages drop down menu, and click the Continue button.
Note that users must accept the Oracle Standard Terms and Restrictions before they can continue with the download.
- Review and accept the Oracle License Agreement, and click the Continue button.
- A new download page will load, presenting options for the user to download the installation package.
|Linux x86, 64 bit||V975245-01|
|Oracle Solaris on Sparc, 64 bit||V975247-01|
|Oracle Solaris on x86, 64bit||V975246-01|
To view full details, sign in with your My Oracle Support account.
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started!
In this Document
|Oracle Secure Global Desktop|
|Changes in Release 5.4|
|Updated Third Party Components|
|Download the SGD 5.40 Media Pack|