Excessive activity to /proc can have negative performance impact on system.
Last updated on JULY 02, 2018
Applies to:Solaris Operating System - Version 10 1/13 U11 to 11.3 [Release 10.0 to 11.0]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Massive amount of accesses to /proc can lead to significant performance impact on the Solaris OS.
If the customer has a large number of processes accessing /proc at the same time, it can have a noticeable performance impact on the system. This impact will manifest itself in many ways, some are
1) Unable to login to the system
2) Processes taking a long time to be created or exit.
3) Slow down in overall performance of the system.
4) Extreme slowness in various process monitoring commands (ps, prstat etc).
5) Lockstats taking a long time to start.
Sign In with your My Oracle Support account
Don't have a My Oracle Support account? Click to get started
My Oracle Support provides customers with access to over a
Million Knowledge Articles and hundreds of Community platforms